[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Firefox Extensions, OBS (April 2022)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 1 23:29:34 EDT 2022

Web browsers are pretty useful, but did you know that they can be
customized? Andrew Cant sure does. He recently reinstalled his laptop,
and along with it he installed a bunch of Firefox extensions to make
his web browsing experience more fun and functional. In our
beginner-friendly opening presentation, he will share some of the
extensions he finds most valuable. Will he enable loyalty program
extensions to earn valuable points while being surveiled? Will he
enable Emacs keybindings on his web browser? Will he install a Web3
plugin to help him snipe the juiciest NFTs for his retirement fund? I
guess we'll see on Monday! If we are lucky, we will have some lively
audience suggestions as well.

While we are on the topic of exploited artists, let's talk about FASS,
an amazing grassroots theatre group run out of the University of
Waterloo. Each year FASS puts on a production, and this year Brent
Clements helped keep the tradition alive by helping stream the show
online using OBS, the Open Broadcaster Software Studio. (You can watch
his handiwork from the links here:
http://fass.uwaterloo.ca/fass-o-vision). Brent will show us some of
the techniques and tricks he uses to do video magic in OBS, and also
complain about the software for a while.

In other news, there are several interesting events coming up in
April. Here are two of them (and you can always find more on
https://watcamp.com):

- On Wed, April 13 the UW Cybersecurity and Privacy Institute will
  give a talk by Seny Kamara entitled "Cryptography for the People".
  He will discuss how cryptography benefits mostly industry and not
  people, but also show some places where crypto is used to solve
  social problems. Sign up here: https://uwaterloo.ca/cybersecurity-privacy-institute/cpi-talk-crypto-people

- CIGI and the University of Waterloo are holding a two day conference
  on health data on April 6 and 7. Find more information here: https://www.cigionline.org/events/toward-a-world-class-health-data-system/

And as always, we at KWLUG are looking for speakers for upcoming
meetings as well. Do you have something you would like others to know
about? Please get in touch.

That's what I have for this month. The meeting starts at 7pm, and will
be held at the usual online location:

https://webconference.kwlug.org/room/kwlug

- Paul
--