[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday, 7pm: Installing Linux, WebAssembly (Mar 2022)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Mar 5 12:49:33 EST 2022

In these serene and uneventful times, couldn't we all use a little
excitement? No? How about a relaxing round of Linux installation,
then? Recently a KWLUG member proposed some beginner-friendly
presentation topics, and in response I will be covering factors to
consider when installing Linux. This talk will be oriented towards
people who are not already experts, so if you have friends or family
who are enthusiatic about free software but don't know where to get
started, please invite them.

In our more technical presentation, Mikalai Birukou will immerse us in
the soothing world of WebAssembly, a low-level programming language
intended for client-side computation in web browsers. The hope is that
you will be able to write client-side code in a sane language that is
not JavaScript, and it will compile down to WebAssembly to perform
actual computations. Mikalai's presentation will work from the ground
up, from the instruction set on up.

Both of these talks were inspired by user requests. You can make a
presentation request too! And (as always) you can offer to present
something related to free software and open source.

Although this may not be as soothing as WebAssembly, CIGI is hosting a
conference on IP Data and Research on March 23-24. The conference is
co-hosted by the Canadian Intellectual Property Office, and is free to
attend. See more info here: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/5th-annual-ip-data-research-conference-tickets-275822230717

That's it for this month. For a while we are still meeting virtually:

https://webconference.kwlug.org/room/kwlug

The meeting starts at 7pm.

- Paul
--