[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Computer Vision, systemd (Dec 2019)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Nov 30 16:24:19 EST 2019

Chris Blasko has a vision. He wants computers to recognise objects in
the world. Unfortunately, computers have to translate still images
encoded in binary and somehow interpret them. In this month's meeting,
Chris will lead us through the field of computer vision, from
interpreting pixels to recognising faces. Along the way he promises
some cool live demos of object recognition. This presentation will be
beginner-friendly

Nathan Fish also has a vision. He would like to get away from clunky
shell-based init scripts to a format that is more compact and elegant,
and fixes some of the limitations of old SysV or BSD init systems. Oh,
and along the way he will reimplement most Linux system utilities
(including a DNS resolver??), rename our network interfaces, and in
the process introduce philosophical conflicts that are still tearing
communities apart[1]. Oh wait. Maybe that isn't Nathan's vision at
all. Maybe Nathan's vision is to set aside the cultural controversy
and look at systemd in terms of its technology: what it can do, how it
works, and how you can use it. In any case, we will hear all about it
during this month's meeting.

The presentations will begin around 7pm, after meeting announcements.

This month's meeting will be held at TriOS:

TriOS College,
110 King St E,
(Market Square, where Frederick and Benton meet)
Kitchener

See https://kwlug.org/trios-college for maps and photos of the
location. Try to arrive before 7pm so we can let you in, or bring a
mobile phone so you can call/text to get in.

- Paul

[1] https://www.debian.org/vote/2019/vote_002
--
Get tech event listings: https://off-topic.kwlug.org/watcamp