[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Game Emulators, Bottleneck Detection (NOTE NEW LOCATION) (February 2019)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 1 19:50:11 EST 2019

LOCATION NOTE: This month's meeting will be held at TriOS College in
Market Square, at the corner of King and Frederick Streets in
Kitchener. The staff at Market Square tend to lock the doors at 7pm
sharp, so get to the location early if you can. We will also have
people watching the doors and a phone number you can text to get in,
but you are better off safe than sorry.

Here we are in the balmy days of February. What better way to
entertain ourselves as our digits freeze off than flipping some bits?
You can bask in the warmth of your childhood memories as you boot up a
game emulator in Linux, and then (maybe?) indulge in the 8-bit
memories of your youth. Or you could play one of the many new games
engineered for old consoles. Brent Clements will show us the why and
how of game emulation on Linux.

Our second offering this month will either be a presentation or a
group discussion or both. Tim Laurence is good with computers, and he
knows how to make slow things fast and buggy things pest-free. In this
segment he will talk about some tools and techniques for
troubleshooting bottlenecks in systems. Maybe after attending this
discussion you will be able to answer the perennially-awful question
"Why is my computer so slow?"

In other news, KWLUG is looking for a few helpers. We have some
content updates to work on, and some additional sources of events for
watcamp.com. If you would like to help, please email me offlist.

As mentioned above, this month's meeting will be held at a new
location:

TriOS College
Market Square
110 King Street East
(at Frederick)
Kitchener

See https://kwlug.org/trios-college for building information. There is
a paid parking garage at Market Square, and gratis parking in downtown
Kitchener after 6pm.
--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org