[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Website Security, Virtual Machines (Nov 2018)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Nov 4 00:24:10 EDT 2018

Halloween has just passed, and we are all disoriented by the time
change, so what better time for a terrifying (oops. sorry. "spooky")
and unsettling topic at KWLUG: web security. When we put a website out
in the world, we open ourselves to all kinds of scary attacks that can
harm our users, corrupt our data, and hurt our reputations. Is there
any hope? Mark Steffen thinks so. He uses a number of tools to test
for website vulnerabilities, including Burp Suite, Vega, and Nikto. He
will tell us about (some of) these tools and how to use them to harden
our web applications.

Our beginner-friendly presentation this month is by Jim Kelsh. He will
show us how to set up Linux virtual machines running in Windows 10.
If you are interested in using Linux but are not willing to give up
your Windows installation, or if you are looking for additional
installations for experimentation, this is the talk for you.

In other news, we are looking for presentations! There are slots
available from December (!) onwards, so if you want to give a talk
without the wait, now is your opportunity. Contact me offlist if you
are interested, or come to the meeting and propose your talk.

Hive Waterloo Region brings together those who are interested in
digital inclusion and digital literacy in the area. They are putting
together an event for Wednesday, November 21. A little birdy (namely,
their internal discussion list) tells me that the theme for this
meetup is "Women in Engineering." They have a couple of speakers lined
up, but are looking for one or two more to give a 20 minute
presentation. If you are interested (or know somebody else who might
be) then contact hello at hivewr.ca . If you would like to attend their
event on the 21st you can register here:
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/hive-wr-meetup-7-tickets-52072897438
(The ticket page is a little sparse now, but I am told it will be
populated shortly.)

That's all I have for now. As always, if you have FLOSS-y events you
would like me to mention, then let me know.

Our meeting will be held in our new space, with its ever-changing
name:

Kitchener-Waterloo Innovation Centre
283 Duke St W, Unit 225
Kitchener (just north of Victoria)

You can find maps and pictures of the location at
https://kwlug.org/283-duke

The meeting starts at 7:00pm. Doors open around 6:30pm, or whenever
somebody with a thumbprint gets to the room.

- Paul
--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org