[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday, 7pm: LibreOffice, systemd timers (May 2015)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri May 1 22:06:31 EDT 2015

All too often we take Free Software for granted. It's easy to think
that a comprehensive office suite has always existed for our favourite
operating system, but we should know better. Some of us are ancient
enough to remember the bad old days, when Abiword and Gnumeric were
the best office suite software we could offer to potential desktop
users, who tended to remain unconvinced. Then StarOffice became
OpenOffice, and then there was a schism, and now we have LibreOffice
(and OpenOffice, and even Abiword and Gnumeric). It is easy to forget
that real human beings write and maintain these codebases, and that
real human beings can contribute to making them better. Marc Paré has
not forgotten, however. He is a LibreOffice developer who is hoping to
build a community of LibreOffice users and developers in the area, and
during this month's meeting he will tell us more about the project.

As many of you know, many Linux distributions have adopted a
completely uncontroversial and universally beloved init system called
systemd. Jotham Apaloo has been working with systemd, and in part 2 of
the meeting he will demonstrate how he uses systemd timers to replace
cronjob functionality. Hooray! No more cronjobs!

In other news, some of us are putting together a new user group for
nonprofit systems administrators, dealing with solutions (some FLOSSy,
some not) for nonprofit organizations. If you are interested in
participating, please contact me offlist.

The unofficial laptop rescue project continues. The next session will
be on Saturday, May 9. RSVP to me if you would like to take part.

In June we will be holding a more adhoc form of meeting. It looks like
it will consist of more informal talks/discussion led by audience
questions. If you have some free-software-related topics you would
like to see discussed, please mention them (preferably on the
kwlug-disc discussion list, but contacting me is fine as well).

Our meeting this month will be held at the usual location:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street North
(at Victoria and Weber)
Kitchener

The meeting starts at 7pm. Setup starts around 6:30pm, and setup
helpers are always welcome. For directions and pictures of the site,
visit http://kwlug.org/sjk

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org