Friends and Colleagues: Other User Groups
We are fortunate to have many other computer user groups nearby. There are several other LUGs, as well as groups for related technologies and other operating systems.
The Regional Municipality of Linux
Here are some other LUGs in Southern Ontario. When known, we list the days of the month they typically meet. Check out their websites for additional information.
- Kitchener - Waterloo - first Monday,
- Bruce-Grey County - first Tuesday,
- Niagara Area - first Tuesday, appears idle,
- St. Mary's - first Tuesday
- Toronto - second Tuesday,
- Hamilton - active, with sporadic meetings,
- Kingston - active. Meets sporadically?,
- Windsor - appears idle,
- Peterborough - second Monday of every month except July, August and October. There are no meetings in July or August, and October meetings are held on the third Monday, not the second..
- West Toronto - appears idle
- Barrie - appears idle
- Toronto (New Users) - appears idle
- London - appears idle
- London (Western LUG) - appears idle,
- London Ontario Linux Users Group (LOLUG)
- Quinte - appears idle
- Stratford - appears idle
- Wingham - appears idle
- Cambridge - on hiatus
Other Computer Groups in K/W
A few groups keep up-to-date calendars of upcoming events in the region:
- KW Perl Mongers mong Perl the third Thursday of the month.
- KW Internet Users Group is not devoted to any one operating system or application, but covers a range of topics related to Internet use. "A Fun Place to Learn About the Internet".
- KW Unix Users Group caters to UNIX users and administrators. Meets the third Wednesday of the month.
- The Canada's Technology Triangle .NET User Group meets monthly to showcase the .NET environment.
- The Waterloo Libre Software Group meets biweekly to nosh on all software liberated.
- The Waterloo-Wellington Information Technology Professional User Group meets on the last Monday of the month to discuss Microsoft server technologies.
- The Waterloo Region Drupal Users Group geeks out over the popular CMS on the third Thursday of every month.
- DevHouse Waterloo is a group for programmers and designers.
- Ubuntu LoCo is an interest and advocacy group for the Ubuntu GNU/Linux distribution.
- KWArtzlab is a "hackerspace" -- a place where DIY types gather to conspire and create all kinds of gadgets. They have "Open House" nights every Tuesday.
- Kitchener-Waterloo Web Designer Meetup is a well-established
and well-attended group focusing on web design.
- Waterloo OpenStreetMap Enthusiasts work to put our region
on the map each month.
- Waterloo Python Users has several events a year.
- KW Ruby on Rails Developers has regular meetups.
Other Groups of Interest
- The Canadian Association for Open Source (a.k.a. CLUE) is an organization which advocates open-source adoption across Canada.
- IdeasTransform describes itself as a "platform for community design". It is oriented towards creators and artists.It is based in Kitchener-Waterloo.
- The Toronto Asterisk User Group supports and advocates the popular open-source telephony system Asterisk.
- The Toronto Smalltalk Users Group is not in KW, but it is the closest group where people can chatter about this squeaky language. There is an associated Tomb Robber's Club as well.
- The Guelph Coffee and Code group gathers "developers, IT pros, web designers and assorted geeks" for meetings.
- The OpenEclectic Creative Collective is an arts and craft collective that has a workspace in Kitchener.