[kwlug-disc] Learning Javascript

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Mar 13 13:12:16 EST 2021

I do not understand JavaScript and it is holding me back.

I have basic familiarity with programming in other paradigms (Python,
Powershell, Java, C, even Scheme) so I understand basic syntax like
variables and if statements. I do not understand how JavaScript wants
me to think, and I am looking for some resources to work through so I
can learn. Questions I have:

- How does JavaScript want me to think?
- What triggers particular functions to be run? I do not really
  understand the control flow.
- Do the popular frameworks (React, VUE, Angular) mean you have to
  change the way you think from vanilla JavaScript?
- Say I want to learn Elm. Does this hurt me or help me when trying to
  learn JavaScript?

Some overview articles would be good to start, followed by some
hands-on tutorials that illustrate language features step by step. I
do not think I want to commit to some six month course right now, but
if you know of good ones then pass them along.

I realize that this is not completely on topic for this forum (and
maybe I will try KWTechs later) but I thought this is a place to
start.

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org