[kwlug-disc] Laptop with 24GB Samsung i100 chip + HDD

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 09:55:36 EDT 2021

We recently received a laptop with a 500GB spinning rust drive and a
24GB Samsung i100 flash memory chip (which is apparently soldered to
the motherboard). As I understand from posts on other models with the
same chip most systems won't boot to that flash drive.

Is it worth putting any partition on the drive? As I understand it the
i100 chip wasn't very fast flash storage. For the moment I partitioned
it as swap space, but thinking that might be a bad idea since it might
lead to failure faster. I've read some recommended putting / on it (I
guess the EFI partition would go on the HDD since the system can't
boot to the i100).

Does anyone have a laptop with a chip like this? How have you set it up?

Thanks and cheers!

Charles