[kwlug-disc] MX Linux - is it good to install on a laptop

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Thu Apr 15 11:30:34 EDT 2021

Speaking as a long time Ubuntu user who has recently started using Fedora, I would recommend an Ubuntu based distro for new users. Fedora lives on the bleeding edge, which is good if you want to be using the latest versions of everything all the time, but it's bad if you don't want to be covered in bandaids from the papercuts. You have to learn how to customize Fedora to get it up to the usability level of the Ubuntu default install. I am specifically not happy with default, uncustomized Gnome desktop running on top of Wayland. Ubuntu customizes Gnome to make it more usable for Mac and Windows users, and defaults to X11 instead of Wayland because Wayland is not ready for general use.

Mint is a highly regarded derivative of Ubuntu that fixes some issues that people have with Ubuntu. It is supposed to be better for beginners, and fixes some ethical/malware concerns, eg concerning the Snap store. I haven't tried Mint, but someone previously recommended it in this thread. https://itsfoss.com/linux-mint-vs-ubuntu/