[kwlug-disc] RMS talk hosted by UW CSC tomorrow

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Sat Nov 28 10:13:25 EST 2020

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 09:48:02PM -0500, Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc wrote:

If this is drifting too far from the kwlug topic, we can take it off list.

> > challenging times.  We are no better than they.
> Statistics says that there is less domestic violence. Modern, we inch
> towards progress. Let's not underestimate ourselves.

This may be the source of our difference of opinion.  I believe our
ancestors were generally more moral than we are, and our diversions
down side trails of various progressive projects may make us feel good,
but do little to increase morality, and even less improve the world.

To attack the monarchy as a rhetorical device in order to increase
morality will be hijacked quickly by those who misunderstand and those
who wish to use the movement to advance their own ill ends.  By the
time monarchy is gone, you won't recognize your own movement anymore.

> Epstein was a social predator. Just remove sexual abuse, and we may find
> similar predators in high positions peddling vogue-wrapped bullets that
> destroy social lives of others. They don't attack the powerful. They don't
> bring social progress.

We quite probably will find more predators in high places, but we won't fix
that by fighting a strawman in the hopes of coercing people to do the
right thing.

We have to keep pounding away on the truth, exposing lies, and building
our own platforms so that when the old ones crumble we are not affected.
That includes everything from the online "disservices" that RMS
critiques to our own universities.

- Chris