[kwlug-disc] RMS talk hosted by UW CSC tomorrow

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Fri Nov 27 21:48:02 EST 2020

> I am Canadian, and I take offence when monarchy is blamed for our ills,

Prince's actions, ills, ill actions are not "ours", these are not ills
of my Canadian people. I am not responsible for them, and neither are
you. I even don't blame the monarchy for prince's ill deeds.

> and when our ancestors are ridiculed for the choices they made in

Stop. No one said anything about ancestry here. Let's not apply vogue
looseness that may be twisted any way one wants.

Epstein was a social predator. Just remove sexual abuse, and we may find
similar predators in high positions peddling vogue-wrapped bullets that
destroy social lives of others. They don't attack the powerful. They
don't bring social progress.

> challenging times.  We are no better than they.
Statistics says that there is less domestic violence. Modern, we inch
towards progress. Let's not underestimate ourselves.
>   Yes, John A MacDonald
> loved the monarchy, but he had his reasons, and we have benefited
> from his work ever since.

Again, we are not looking back here. We are looking into the future.
Progress of social norms requires signalling. And I am suggesting a
strong signal: sacrificing our beloved monarchy in favor of equal
justice as a principle, and condemning violence against women. And even
the Queen will admire the gesture in support of all women, all over the
world. C'mon! I agree, just getting rid of monarchy brings nothing. But
there is a bargain position here.

Let's imagine. UofW administrators start a motion. Real threat to move
Canada away from monarchy is seen as a good reason to make prince fly to
USA to "face the music". Monarchy does the right thing, it becomes a
moral pillar. Wow! We'd be all proud of adherence to justice. Even
brothers from Québec will be proud! We'll keep the moral Queen!

We can dream, can't we? Till then, God save the queen! ... in the UK :)