[kwlug-disc] Fw: [Website feedback] linux on adnroid tablet

Hubert Chathi hubert at uhoreg.ca
Wed Jan 15 00:23:00 EST 2020

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 18:26:10 -0500, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> said:

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 6:19 PM Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
>> How about other firmwares? What do the cool kids use these days?
>>

> She can check if other Android 'distros' would run on her tablet.

> Things like LineageOS (previous known as CyanogenMod)

> https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/

> And OmniROM

> https://www.omnirom.org/devices

I hadn't heard of this one before

There's also PostmarketOS (though I think it's still in fairly early
stages)

https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Devices

and Replicant

https://www.replicant.us/supported-devices.php

> Would I would have done is check the support for the device before I
> buy it, then buy that specific make/model to be sure if would work.

> Other than that, it would be almost impossible to get a random device
> to work.

I agree.  Unless you're the type of person who wants to try to do things
the hard way, it's better to get something that other people have
already tested.

One possible alternative is to stick with Android, but install apps from
F-Droid. https://f-droid.org/ They'll still have some Google stuff on
their tablet, but they can use less of it.