[kwlug-disc] Permissive vs copyleft licenses

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Dec 19 23:40:52 EST 2020

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 04:12:00PM -0500, Mikalai Birukou wrote:

> > But it seems easier to attract
> > contributors (in particular, contributors with deep pockets) for
> > BSD-style licensing.
>
> And here I ask for actual examples were big co have contributed.

Apache Lucene?
OpenSSL?
Postgres?
pfSense (and therefore FreeBSD)?
clang, of course.

In terms of end-user applications, neither style of open source
license won. SaaS won instead. The desktop software model has passed
its heyday.

In terms of how small projects can become successful big ones: you
need to grow a community of contributors somehow.

- Paul