[kwlug-disc] Permissive vs copyleft licenses

Jason Eckert jason.eckert at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 17:25:06 EST 2020

> Why big blue is attracted to GPL kernel?
> Can someone explain this elephant?
I think the main (or dare I say root) reason is what Paul mentioned earlier
- if you have lots of users and enough contributors, you are powerful.
The word "community" is often used today to refer to this phenomenon. In
other words, "community" = "powerful" today, regardless of the license used
(but in general, permissive licenses tend to build communities and power
faster for many projects).
Big blue will naturally be attracted to the biggest community.