[kwlug-disc] Permissive vs copyleft licenses

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Sat Dec 19 16:44:18 EST 2020

> I am also sufficiently old and grumpty to feel that people building
> kernels in their spare time is not sustainable either. Maybe I am
> wrong.

Linux kernel comes to mind. It had a humble start.

Years later there was this whole grsecurity thingy. Guys were pushing
for more secure kernel patches that will benefit end user,
desktop/android, but will reduce speed a few percent points. Ouch, big
cloud vendors care more about these percentage points, while certain
setups in big co may mitigate risks. In other words, how much effort
today, in that Linux Foundation benefits smaller guy versus bigger guy.

Staring at us is the question, why even big guys group around GPL-ed
kernel? Hm-m? Why money flow into Linux Foundation, not FreeBSD?
<disclaimer>I haven't read actual financial statements, but question
feels correctly pointed.</disclaimer>

Indeed. Why big blue is attracted to GPL kernel? Can someone explain
this elephant?