[kwlug-disc] Presentation requests: package formats, repository best practices

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Dec 16 15:51:01 EST 2020

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 1:02 PM Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 04:06:06AM -0500, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> > - Repository best practices: every programming language has its own
> >   repository format. Archives like Debian or Ubuntu's seem to be
> >   largely obsolete.
>
> One of the first things I do on a Ubuntu system is uninstall snapd.
> Debian / ubuntu repos are definitely not obsolete for me.

I agree with Chris, and do the same: uninstall snap on all my machines.
The .deb system works well, and the repositories are where things are.

If anything, I don't want to have multiple potential sources of attack (i.e.
minimize the attack surface), and possible breakage methods.

An ongoing trend is not learning from the challenges and mistakes of the
past and trying to revive past methods. In this case it is statically linked
binaries vs. dynamically linked ones which has been the norm for the past
25 years or so ...

If statically linked binaries are needed in some cases, then so be it, but
not via an app store model.