[kwlug-disc] Say No To Electronic Voting ...

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Sun Aug 23 15:18:21 EDT 2020

>> Mikalai, in the end you are seeking a technological problem to what
>> is basically a societal and political issue
>
> IMHO, this is entirely correct.
>
> Spending a fortune to build, install, and regularly update an
> electronic solution to a problem that doesn't really exist seems a folly.
If paper votes were always counted correctly in Belarus in the last 4 to
8 elections, there would be no problem. But they weren't. Mere presence
of Austrian paper vote system doesn't guarantee the happy ending. Hence,
problem exist, may be not in Canada (note, in Belarus every vote has
equal weight, unlike here, leaving only miscounting as a mischief tool).

Actual change that now takes place in that country was helped by some
tech solutions coupled with mass action. Tech is a tool. Tech is never a
solution to a problem that not all people abide by rules. But tech de
facto helped the defending side. Let me rephrase it, can we have high
tech pitchforks? :)