[kwlug-disc] OpenWRT trick ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Oct 8 12:35:11 EDT 2019

Ran across this problem, so sharing what I came up with as a workaround.

Basically, you update OpenWRT using opkg, and I have this script that
automates the process.

#!/bin/sh

opkg update

LIST=`opkg list-upgradable | awk '{print $1}'`
if [ "$LIST" != "" ]; then
  opkg upgrade $LIST
fi

The above is in a script called /etc/custom/upgrade.sh

This router has 8MB of flash, which is the minimum for OpenWRT.
Even so, it could not update libssl because of lack of space.

The trick was to uninstall something that ate up a lot of space, then
install it again after
libssl gets updated.

This script did it for me:

# This script removes Luci, so as to allow space for other
# packages to be upgraded.
# Use it if you run out of space during an upgrade

LIST_FILE=list.txt

# Get a list of Luci packages
opkg list-installed  | grep luci | awk '{print $1}' > $LIST_FILE

# Run remove on them until all removed
for i in 1 2 3 4 5
do
  opkg remove `cat $LIST_FILE`