[kwlug-disc] imac4,1 help

peter_melse at gto.net peter_melse at gto.net
Fri May 31 12:44:07 EDT 2019

I'm fairly certain this generation of mac uses a 32bit efi
bootloader.

the information here may be of
use:
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/
[1]

-------------------------
SUBJECT: Re: [kwlug-disc] imac4,1
help
DATE: Fri, 31 May 2019 12:28:35 -0400
FROM: Gordon Dey
TO: KWLUG
discussion
REPLY-TO: KWLUG discussion

>From what I read, the efi
booter is 32b but the core duo can run 64b. Be that as it may, I have
tried both the amd64 and i386 isos. Some people have tried putting the
32b boot.efi onto an amd64 iso just to solve this. Presumably, though,
the i386 iso should support 32b efi boot?

But the thing is, the iMac
doesn't see anything it wants to even attempt to boot, so there is no
kernel loaded to even set options on.
Gord

On May 31, 2019 10:35,
Ron Singh  wrote:

Not sure if you are using a 32-bit or 64-bit cut of
Ubuntu, but I ran into a similar issue 2 years back on a older Toshiba
Core Duo laptop and using Mint 18.2 32-bit, and requiring me to turn on
the "force-pae" flag in the bootloader was the ticket to success in
installing Mint Xfce 32-Bit (with PAE-forced) on that old thing. Worked
a treat. I wonder if it would word in your case?

Oh yeah, I did stick
with Legacy BIOS on that Toshiba, cannot recall if it even had EFI.

Thanks,

Ron Singh

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 10:27 PM Gordon Dey
wrote: So as luck would have it, I find myself attempting to put ubuntu
onto an
 empty iMac4,1 (early 2006, core duo--not '2').

 I can boot an
external macbook install usb cd disk, but of course, the
 installer
bails when it realizes the iMac isn't a macbook. Utilities
 work, and I
can show hardware inventory. Internal cd no longer works.
 AlltThis
tells me that I can boot from a usb cd if the magic is right,
 and that
the iMac is complete and working.

 I have googled, created a number of
CDRs with various incantations, 32b