[kwlug-disc] OT: CDMA network shutdown?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Jul 21 13:29:02 EDT 2019

It looks like the CDMA network for Bell is finally dead? I used to use
CDMA phones that would connect to the network long enough to get
network time and then go into airplane mode. Now (as of Thursday?)
that stopped working.

Has anybody else experienced this?
It looks as if the transition was on April 30:
https://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Smartphones_and_mobile_internet/CDMA_EVDO_network_change

but I feel this can't be right, because I have been using time on my
CDMA phone up to this week. Maybe I never accessed the network between
the end of April and now?

Unfortunately I do not see any options on these phones to set the time
manually, which is really all I want. I wonder how difficult it would
be to build my own Stingray box that would do nothing but feed the
time to a phone?

- Paul

--
Tech Events Newsletter: https://da.gd/wtcmp-news