[kwlug-disc] Server Parts for DL380G6

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri Mar 2 00:22:07 EST 2018

zixiekat asked:

> how hard is it to take apart?

The pins and socket connectors are "locked" into the plastic enclosure
with a small tab that protrudes out of the cylindrical part of the pin
or socket. With a very small screwdriver it is possible to push in
that tab while pulling the pin/socket out of the plastic enclosure.

Sadly, all the pins and sockets I've ever seen are crimp-on, with a
very firm strain relief that doesn't open nicely. So when I've had to
make adapters[1] from, eg. molex connectors I've just cut the wire at
the strain relief. It results in an ugly solder job on the crimped
part of the strain relief.

I've also found that the pin/socket metal is very brittle, and bending
the tab too far is likely to break it off. Not really a big deal if
the connectors are never to be taken apart again (just force them
together), but a broken tab wrecks the pin/socket for something that
needs to be disconnected frequently, or even occasionally.

[1] Two molex connectors I've repurposed: the one on the right with
red tape has the 5V and 12V pins reversed (don't remember why I needed
that), and the one the right connects a barrel connector to the 5V
supply. Note the paperclip jumper on the 20-pin connector to force the
powersupply on.

https://sobac.com/nextcloud/s/xftcrb5NTagA5Yo

- --Bob.