[kwlug-disc] So, I took the plunge... Mail In A Box

bob+kwlug at softscape.ca bob+kwlug at softscape.ca
Mon Feb 19 22:09:20 EST 2018

> @bob, I have home DSL and from what I discovered in the past is that they
> only offer static IP's for home users via their DSL offerings.

They can (could?) on cable, but it's a business offering and in included using extra equipment from them to do MLPPP (Multi-link PPP) in order to do it. I understood it to be an overlay on top of the Internet connection. Almost like a VPN connection but I'm guessing without the crypto.

It also touted the benefit of being able to route your IP/range over multiple upstream ISP links. It looked like a decent solution, but like I said the SMTP blocking was a showstopper for me to dig deeper.

Are you able to connect to port 25 on any services directly from your home? (ie: can you telnet to any of the gmail MX IP's on port 25 from your home?)

BB