[kwlug-disc] Syntax and indenting in vim 8.0 driving me crazy ...

bob+kwlug at softscape.ca bob+kwlug at softscape.ca
Mon Feb 19 21:53:34 EST 2018

> So, I thought that I would override indentation on the RPi using a .vimrc
> file. The problem is: once I have a .vimrc or .vim directory, all syntax
> highlighting goes away completely, even if the .vimrc file is empty! That
> is not the behaviour on Ubuntu: a .vimrc does not cause syntax
> highlighting to be disabled.
>
> One way to solve this is to copy all the syntax stuff from
> /usr/share/vim80/* into my .vimrc directory, and edit it to remove the
> offending indentation. But that would be duplication, and not the proper
> way of doing this.
>
> So:
>
> Anyone encounter this issue?
>
> What are good ways to solve it, other than the duplicating above?

Haven't actually tried or looked, but is there a flag somewhere in global vim config that dictates whether $HOME/.vimrc is an override, or pre, or post system vimrc configs?

The other thing you could do is to include the /usr/share/vim80/* in your ~/.vimrc script as you see fit (assuming that's possible) and then add your stuff after that to override any system configs you don't like.

Just thinking out loud,
BB