[kwlug-disc] Syntax and indenting in vim 8.0 driving me crazy ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Feb 19 18:27:43 EST 2018

For an editor, I have been using vi (then vim) for 31 years.

For a long time I had my own customizations in .vimrc, or under .vim
directory.
But some time ago I discovered that I don't need these customization, since
the default syntax, tab width, ..etc. all worked well.

On my Ubuntu 16.04 boxes (this laptop, servers, ...etc.), I have vim 7.4,
and all is good.

When I got the new Raspberry Pi 3, I installed the latest Raspian on it,
and that happened to be version 9. It came with vim 8.0.

The packages I have installed are: vim, vim-common, vim-runtime and
vim-tiny. /usr/bin/vi symlinks to /usr/bin/vim.basic.

On the Ubuntu machines, with vim 7.4, it all works well. Syntax and
indenting work correctly for the files I used on a daily basis, such as
config files, .yaml, python, c, and php. I don't have a .vimrc file anymore.

However, on Raspian 9's vim 8.0, syntax highlighting is correct, but
indentation is wrong and it forces wrong indents when I add lines, ...etc.

So, I thought that I would override indentation on the RPi using a .vimrc
file. The problem is: once I have a .vimrc or .vim directory, all syntax
highlighting goes away completely, even if the .vimrc file is empty! That
is not the behaviour on Ubuntu: a .vimrc does not cause syntax highlighting
to be disabled.

One way to solve this is to copy all the syntax stuff from
/usr/share/vim80/* into my .vimrc directory, and edit it to remove the
offending indentation. But that would be duplication, and not the proper
way of doing this.

So:

Anyone encounter this issue?

What are good ways to solve it, other than the duplicating above?

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.