[kwlug-disc] Dynamic DNS or Static DNS for HOME machine?

John Sellens jsellens at syonex.com
Sat Feb 3 10:57:44 EST 2018

| At least for Rogers (and IPv4) my IP tends to stay the same for months at a time; I have a friend who I do some DNS work for and for the longest time he’d just email me twice or thrice a year to update the IP for his name, it was that infrequent.

I don't think anyone has mentioned that Rogers provides DNS on
your connection - a combination of the MAC addresses on your
CPE (router, firewall) and the modem. e.g.

    CPExxxxxxxxxxxx-CMyyyyyyyyyyyy.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com

One can make a CNAME to that.

When and address changes, the updates are instant, but it's
workable for many purposes.

John