[kwlug-disc] Small low power server for HomeAssistant

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 10:27:15 EST 2018

Khalid, this project is very exciting! Would like to have an idea of the
networked devices you plan on using.
I wonder, despite the fact that they are not fanless, would a laptop not
suffice?

See, I have an X220(i5-2540M), set up as a torrent/playback PC that is
never turned off, it is hooked up via a DP/HDMI cable to a TV set and uses
a HID-compliant wireless mini keyboard(with trackpad)

In the BIOS, I have the Intel SpeedStep feature turned off, the power
settings are "battery optimized" and the thermal setting is also for fan
optimized.
Essentially, this 2,4Ghz CPu spends most of it's time at 800-ish Mhz. One
can force it to stick around 800-ish Mhz via TLP, but I have not tried that.
It runs Mint-Cinnamon-18.1, essentially Ubuntu 16.04.1 with the Cinnamon
DE.
With the laptop's screen set at minimum(it is all set up in the basement),
the X220 uses 11 watts idling and 23 watts streaming/playing back 1080P
media.
The X220 has a slow-poke 5400rpm 750G HDD which is set for a 5 min
spin-down when idle.

Would this platform(an i5-equipped X220) or any other i3/i5 laptop be
appropriate for this end-use?
I have looked into fanless PCs in the past, based on mobile Intel chips and
crippled desktop chips, but they are pretty spendy with current models
starting at $400 and still needing RAM and storage.

I have not played yet with this tool:
https://01.org/powertop/downloads/powertop-v2.9
but it looks real promising in its ability to really fine tune some
powersaving features of an Intel platform.

Thanks,

Ron Singh