[kwlug-disc] Small low power server for HomeAssistant

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Feb 1 14:40:11 EST 2018

Looking into home automation, I settled on Home Assistant

https://home-assistant.io/

This is written in Python, and there is a Raspberry Pi 3 image for it
already (Hassbian, based on Raspbian, which is Debian derived).

Alternate install methods do work, and I managed to get it up and running
on a good old AMD server running Ubuntu 16.04 using Python venv.

https://home-assistant.io/docs/installation/virtualenv/

Now, I want it to be permanently hosted on its own lower power server. The
Raspberry Pi 3 is an option, but I want to make sure I explore other lower
power servers that run stock Debian or Ubuntu 16.04 (or 18.04 soon). The
reason is: the rich repository. If you want some package, it is already
there, and you are not stuck.

So an Intel/AMD server is desirable.

Zotac have some servers that take power from a 12v adapters, and fanless,
but they will be over $300 and up after one puts a CPU and SSD disk in
them. An RPi3 is ~ $100 with a case and a microSD card.

There is Beagle Bone Black, and Pine64. There is also Odroid. But all these
have a very small community and running Debian/Ubuntu on them with a rich
repository will not be viable in the long run.

So the questions are:

1. Does anyone here use Home Assistant? Would like to hear your experience
with it.

2. What other options are there for low power, low footprint servers that
run stock Debian/Ubuntu?

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.