[kwlug-disc] possible presentation ideas

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Dec 16 07:35:29 EST 2018

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 04:50:56AM -0500, Chris Irwin wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 09:45:31PM -0500, tomg at sentex.ca wrote:
> >How GRUB works and what the difference between installing it
> >and updating it is, especially, differences from LILO or rEFInd.
> >
> >How (U)EFI works.
> >
> >How GUID partition tables work on Linux.
>
> I think UEFI & GPT would go well together, as they are related to each
> other.
>
> I've spent enough time (both privately and professionally) mucking about
> with disks, partitions, bios and uefi bootloaders that I can take on these
> topics.
>
> Probably a half-session for the basics of what and how (and some efibootmgr
> fun), or a whole-session for more depth (how it got to be like this,
> touching on secure boot, and brief notes on GRUB and rEFInd).
>
> That said, while I find it fascinating and useful, a full night of
> partitions and bootloaders might be too much...

Deal. March is open. If you want to wait until the danger of snow has
passed then that is okay too. Let me know.

We have been trying to schedule two presentations per night, so a
half-session is probably more appropriate. But both aspects of this
(how to use it and how it got this way) seem like interesting
presentations.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org