[kwlug-disc] Should kwlug-disc archives be private?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Thu Dec 6 13:08:28 EST 2018

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 03:51:30PM -0500, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> Here are two followup questions:
>
> - Regardless of philosophical positions as to whether the archives
>   ought to be open, are there additional stories where people have
>   actually used the openness of the archives for some purpose? Bob
>   gave us one example when he talked about linking to particular
>   posts. Are there others?
>
> - Are there members of this list who would prefer the list be private
>   but are not participating in the discussion because they feel
>   intimidated by the strong stance expressed, or because the list is
>   public and they are concerned about their privacy? (People who are
>   less concerned about the archives being public are exactly the
>   people who are more inclined to participate in this discussion,
>   after all.) If you are in this camp, please contact me offline. I
>   will take a tally of you and relay your concerns (without your name)
>   to this thread.

These are just the same questions asked again, hoping for a different
answer.  The answer is the same:  The intent was and is a public list,
keep it public.  Those who want privacy need to handle it themselves,
because it is the only real way to do it, and we have never offered
it as a promise.

I agree with Andrew's suggestion to use a pseudonym if that helps.
Nothing saying you have to use your real name or email here.

- Chris