[kwlug-disc] [Off Topic] anyone have a spare 600 watt or more PSU I can buy for cheap, borrow or trade for?

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 20:39:47 EDT 2017

What make/model graphics card?
Crypto-mining in the mix?

OK, at this point, I have to chime in kinda loudly -- decent(meaning things
that don't die) PSUs can be had real cheap. There is no reason *not* to
embrace some of the 2nd and 3rd tier brands out there. No need to blow
hundreds on PSUs.

I have had tremendous luck with a 2nd tier brand, Apevia.
These are pretty inexpensive 800w/1000w off-brand PSUs, they do not die.
I have had dual Xeons with TDP of 240W each and and 6 7200RPM drives
running off the 1000w units for years now.
I have used the 800w units with i7 Extreme 6-core jobbies married to
GTX-1070/1080Ti and they have been running quite nicely for over 8 months
now.

An Apevia 800w blurb right from the mfg:
http://apevia.com/ProductsInfo.asp?KEY=ATX-JP800W

These things should be no more than 80 bucks or so. See Newegg Canada
advert here --
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817148059
85 bucks + tax. Pretty good deal.
Disclaimer:  I am in no way involved with Newegg Canada

Oh yeah, if you do buy a PSU and you actually do get into mining, having
the extra juice will be helpful in case you want to upp your mining rate by
adding another video card.

Thanks,

Ron Singh
"in transit, via mobile comm device"