[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 17.10

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 14:01:17 EDT 2017

Ditto here. I've only been in the Linux world for 9 months now.
Distro-hopped for about 3 months, and only in the last 6 months have
settled to what I am very happy with, namely, LinuxMint 18.1 Xfce.
Clean clean clean desktop, on 4.4 LTS of the Linux kernel and security
patches promised to early 2021.  My hardware profile is modest at
Thinkpads, using 2nd gen Intel CPUs, X220,T420s, T410s, W520.

I do weekly grinding though various LTS, rolling releases and even some
bleeding distros in a Virtualbox VM, only to to find that LM 18.1 Xfce to
be the most reliable and memory/energy efficient OS that I have ever used,
well, at least in the last 6 months.

Gnome and KDE makes me really angry for putting up walls for me in terms of
accessibility, Mate is quite gentle on the nerves, but I find Xfce to be
closest to the way I want to interact with a desktop interface, quickly and
intuitively.

Thanks,

Ron Singh
"in transit, via mobile comm device"