[kwlug-disc] It pays to check your plan

Wed Oct 4 20:33:39 EDT 2017

> On Oct 4, 2017, at 7:52 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:
>
> Wireless meshnet.

Sure. It’s a fun experiment but the latency, reliability and management nightmare is not something I’d want to use as my primary internet service. It’s a lot like tor in some regards.

> At one time (2001?) there was Waterloo Wireless, one of the first
> organizations to set up a wireless peer-to-peer mesh network. There's
> no sign of their website today, but it had instructions for building
> cantennas from Pringles cans…

Yep. I did all that stuff back in the day. Still play around with RF from time to time. It’s not a viable high bandwidth, low latency, high(fish) reliability service though.

-A.