[kwlug-disc] It pays to check your plan

Wed Oct 4 18:22:41 EDT 2017

> On Oct 4, 2017, at 5:25 PM, Dave Cramer <davecramer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering how this might be possible? Seems like carrytel is just reselling rogers?

The last mile is owned by Rogers or Bell. There is no getting around it.  Anyone who is offering DSL or Cable is using the infrastructure of the incumbent.

That’s why it’s my firm belief that these carriers must be broken up along this fault line (the last mile) — the last mile providers should not be allowed to sell to consumers, and the network companies must buy last mile circuits should not be allowed to own or operate last mile infrastructure. I definitely do *not* want the last mile nationalized; the surest way to eff-up Internet in Canada is to get the government involved in high technology.

That would finally put Bell and Rogers (the internet provider companies) on equal and fair footing with the Teksavvys and the VMedias and the CarryTel’s and finally give us some real competition in this space. I have similar feelings toward cellular service and how it should be split up to allow real competition.

-A.