[kwlug-disc] I miss KWLUG so badly!

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Tue Nov 21 22:48:27 EST 2017

Hi everyone,

I just had to say how much I'm missing KWLUG.

The organizational skills by Paul, Andrew, and everyone are sorely
missed in Vancouver.

/begin rant

Since arriving back in Vancouver in July, there has been *one*
presentation at VanLUG - a display of BSD file system hierarchy.

On average, 3-4 regulars attend and a couple stragglers.  There are
*nine* Board of Director members though.

The web site states:

> As a registered non-profit society in British Columbia, VanLUG is
> governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. Without its executive,
> the VanLUG community would be quite disfunctional [sic].

Yet the president admitted on the recently restarted mailing list:

> Although we've been working on our website for *years*, we have yet to
> get the back-end to function properly. We can't input data manually,
> we can't get proper reports out, we can't transfer funds into our
> bank account. MySQL currently tells us that VanLUG has three
> members.

It's unfathomable that a LUG would spend "years" on a simple web site
and still be non-functioning.

They want $20 per year for membership.

* Their web site listed monthly meetings on the 2nd monday of each
month, and on another page, on the 3rd monday of each month.
* The mailing list was out-sourced and they lost all data.
* Their Twitter account wasn't even registered.
* The "Contact Us at the form below" ... didn't actually have a form to
contact them at.
* etc ad nauseam

/end rant

Gawd, I miss KWLUG!