[kwlug-disc] Firefox 57?

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 12:37:26 EST 2017

I moved to Firefix ESR about 6-7 months ago, both in W7/W10 and
Linux(Mint(despite the fact that Mint does not have it in their repo)),
just to be able to use my fav add-ons. I have not experienced any
shortcomings of FF ESR. All my "legacy" add-ons run well.

That said, I do have a playtime Thinkpad X220 i7 laptop with 8G running
Mint Cinnamon 18.2 and when I reload some 72 tabs on the new FF57, it *is*
some 30% faster on finishing all them reloads. Tabs snap into view a wee
faster, advert content load visibly faster too when I have Ublock Origin
turned off.

Since NoScript 5.x is supported till June 2018, I think I will stick with
FF ESR. I am on FF ESR 52.4, even though 52.5 just popped into view a
couple of days ago. I will give it another 6 weeks to see how FF ESR 52.5
is received before upgrading.

I would think upgrading from FF 56 to FF 57 in newer hardware will show
very little "felt" performance increase, but on my older(6-7 yo) laptop,
FF57 was visibly faster. For daily driving, I am sticking with FF ESR and
will only bust a move to FF 57 after a point release and when NoScript is
up to speed.. My 2 cents.

Thanks,

Ron Singh
"in transit, via mobile comm device"