[kwlug-disc] Weather Forecast in Ubuntu variants

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat May 13 18:38:21 EDT 2017

A while back, I posted to this list on why I switched from Kubuntu 16.04 to
Xubuntu 16.04, partially because the former did not have a working weather
forecast widget, and the latter having one.

Now, xfce4-weather-plugin has stopped working.

This is because the provider has changed the API.

And for the new API to work, you require a newer version of the package.

The instructions below are for Xubuntu, but if you had weather stop
updating since May 9th or so), whether on KDE, Unity or Gnome, then you can
do something similar.

This is what I did:

# Purge the existing weather application
sudo aptitude purge xfce4-weather-plugin

# Find the process ID of the running app
ps -ef | grep weath

# Kill it
kill 2249

# Find the newer application version
Visit http://packages.ubuntu.com/zesty/xfce4-weather-plugin in your
browser, and scroll down to your architecture (most likely amd64), and
click on the download link for a list of mirrors

# Download the .deb of the newer version.
wget
http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/universe/x/xfce4-weather-plugin/xfce4-weather-plugin_0.8.9-1_amd64.deb

# Install the .deb using gdebi
sudo gdebi xfce4-weather-plugin_0.8.9-1_amd64.deb

Only drawback is that you will not get updates for this package, since it
is directly installed using gdebi (not from repos), but now I have working
weather.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.