[kwlug-disc] DNS Resource Record format question

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Thu May 11 14:54:53 EDT 2017

Ronald Barnes wrote on 2017-05-11 01:56 PM:

> RFC 1035 and other documents indicate the RData field should be ASCII text

IRC to the rescue! Freenode's #dns and user hawk to be specific.

Turns out, in DNS, an ASCII character-string that's preceded by a 2 byte
length field *also* includes a 1-byte length field, similar to "Standard
DNS name notation, but without a trailing NULL byte.

And the 2 byte preceding length field must measure the internal length byte.

I must say, I'm rather unimpressed with all the documentation I've found
on the issue.