[kwlug-disc] msmtp email to gmail not landing - ideas?

John Sellens jsellens at syonex.com
Fri Mar 31 21:25:41 EDT 2017

Be careful not to confuse the envelope, which is used to transport the
message, and the contents of the message, which includes headers and body.

It looks like you were ending specifying the recipients only in the
envelope, but not in the headers in the message itself.

I would not be surprised if most mail servers (not just gmail) thought a
message header with no To: line was an indication of spam, or at least
malformed mail.

But the others were right - sendmail wasn't intended to be called
to compose a message, use mail, mailx, or mutt (or ....).

Hope that helps - cheers!

John