[kwlug-disc] msmtp email to gmail not landing - ideas?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Mar 31 17:10:38 EDT 2017

Rather than composing the email message from scratch, including the
headers, I use the 'mail' program on Linux (or mailx).

Several packages offer such a program. It used to be heirloom-mailx until
14.04. Now with 16.04, the package is s-nail.

Either way, you get a program called 'mail'. And you use it like so:

echo body | mail -s "subject" name at domain.dom

That way, you can email yourself from any scripts that need to.

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 2:16 PM, B. S. <bs27975 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe this has now probably been solved.
>
> gmail wants addresses in the body of the message, not just the headers.
>
> So: echo Body | sendmail -s Subject recipient at example.com
>
> is insufficient, even though all msg headers are proper.
>
> Instead: echo -e "From: me at mine.com\nTo: the at other.guy\nSubject:
> Topic\nBody" | sendmail recipient at example.com
>

> On 03/30/2017 12:00 PM, B.S. wrote:
>
>> So on a Debian Jessie machine, I'm trying to get system notification
>> mail messages out to real e-mail so I actually find out something
>> happened. Like an unattended-upgrade failure.
>>
>> I understand that default installs auto install localhost mail
>> facilities only. So I've installed msmtp and it's largely entirely
>> working.
>>
>> However, e-mail to gmail accounts never seem to land. @live.ca just
>> works, instantly even. Yahoo and another non-gmail provider too.
>>
>> In all cases, cpanel2.indieserve.net swallows up the message without
>> error.
>>
>> Just nothing ever arrives when sent to @gmail.com.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>> Or is this something needing configuration on mail.kwlug.org, like DKIM,
>> or some other bizarreness?
>>
>> Thanks for any thoughts.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.