[kwlug-disc] I'm "not in sudoers file."

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Thu Mar 30 03:34:11 EDT 2017

Well, despite the time being 03:15, I decided to boot from live USB and
fix it.

Done and done.

> Anyone have any ideas?

> Can't think of anything I've done that would cause this in the past few
> days since last logout / reboot.
>
> FWIW, "groups" shows "ron docker".

Therein lies the clue I overlooked: I added myself to the docker group
erroneously and incorrectly.

usermod -G (--groups) to add user to new group(s) REQUIRES the -a
(--append) option if one is not willing to manually specify all the
groups the user is to be in as arguments to usermod.

Apparently, it keeps you in your default group that matches your
username though.

Can't believe I blew it on that.

Anyone have a handy list of the default groups for a normal user on
Ubuntu 16.04?

Thanks everyone.

rb
--