[kwlug-disc] Extending WiFi Range

B.S. bs27975.2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 02:26:47 EDT 2017

Just remember, wi-fi is something like 15 times slower than physical
wire. Divided by the number of wi-fi devices you have.

 > 3. How did you turn off OpenWRT routing ...etc. on it?

Disconnect the WAN. Done. Of course, set your gateway and other details
on the internal net. [My OpenWRT hardware had gone flaky, so already had
another retail router doing that. In implementing it, OpenWRT became
dedicated to providing wi-fi, no longer 'routing'. And a spare switch
for the room in which it is now in. DMZ, potentially. I wasn't using the
statistics of OpenWRT anyway. In my case, the 5GHz kept overheating and
shutting the unit down - my ultimate solution was to turn off 5GHz.]

- if I ever become interested enough in the statistics and so on, I'm
more likely to take an old laptop and dedicate it to the purpose.
OpenWRT will always be underpowered and hardware limited, and we always
want to do more with it. Let alone yet another oddball thing to
maintain. (I get your experience is different, and you have space - in
my case I don't even have space to implement usb storage.) OpenWRT runs
on PCs too, if that interests you.

- subsequently I moved to (50Mps) Bell (much cheaper than Rogers or
associated wholesalers), which put yet another router in front of the
mess. Being near the TV on the main floor, it also provided a switch to
connect other wires into.

Long before though, I had the same issue as you describe. But along the
way, a couple other things happened. First, I came across a Canada
Computer Xmas sale on small UPS', so bought a few and put them on
switches and phones in various rooms - just want to survive the
momentary power glitch without having everything in the house suddenly
go down. For anything much longer continuing to work in the dark is
problematic, even if the bigger ups in the basement keeps service up.
And if I'm not home, it don't matter. Second, I got voip.ms, thus an
ATA, and had to have something to plug it into, anyway. Later, that
became the Bell router it plugged into. Being a multi-handset cordless
phone, it has the same wireless coverage issues.

So, first 'easy' step - separate OpenWRT routing and wi-fi. Any 'ol
router will do. Move OpenWRT upstairs to your TV STB. Ignore any
ugliness - it will soon become background noise. (Tape over the lights.
Put it in the back of a shelf, and books or other doodads in front of
it. Or a lavalamp?)

Couple other considerations for you that have come along since we both
did OpenWRT, Khalid. First - multi-antenna units. Which means channels
(pairs?) can be 'dedicated' to devices, and throughput is no longer
total bandwidth / # of devices. Apparently today's devices sort
themselves out in this way. e.g. Two phones ('pesky teenagers') will end
up coming off different antennas / channels / frequencies, and so not
impede each other.

Second, powerline,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication, has evidently
made great strides since we did OpenWRT. I see units at Canada Computer
for ~$50,
http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?category_name=Networking&keywords=powerline&page=1&sort=3a
. You may want to give a pair a try and see if you find it sufficient -
e.g. trial between basement and TV STB; if happy, add a wi-fi router.
IIUC, they are not all created equal, so others on the list may be able
to better advise you on specifics.

Moving my OpenWRT up a floor made it equidistant, and I didn't need a
2nd wi-fi unit, or have to deal with meshing. Just remember, no matter
where you put it, throughput will diminish with distance and barriers.
Let alone with the number of devices on it at any one point in time.

Notes on external antenna or outside repeaters may also serve you well.
Bearing in mind it also improves the ability for 3rd parties to
penetrate your home. On tests I did at the time, OpenWRT let me reduce
channel power - such that just outside my yard reception becomes negligible.

YMMV.