[kwlug-disc] The joys of systemd ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Mar 7 19:23:23 EST 2017

> Firstly, the best way to change unit files is to copy your
> unit file to the relevant location in /etc/systemd.
>
> This is so system updates don't overwrite your changes.

Thanks for the tip. It did help. See below.

> I tested the default varnish files and everything ran with
> ps -ef showing expected output.

I did an apt purge varnish, then reinstalled a new, then copied the
unit file like you recommended, and varnish did start successfully.

I made the changes in the unit file (different listening port, a
different varnish vcl), then systemctl daemon-reload, and it did start
this time.

Doing things differently is mildly annoying, but can be tolerated.
Having no diagnostics to go by at all is another ball game.

Thanks for your help.