[kwlug-disc] AMD Laptops and Radeon with Ubuntu?

Mark Steffen rmarksteffen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 11:58:56 EST 2017

My 2 cents:

I bought an Acer laptop a year ago with an AMD APU - the A10-8700P Carrizo
generation.  I bumped the ram up to 16 gigs and tossed in a 256 GB Samsung
840 pro I had laying around.  Ran Ubuntu (and Kali) amazingly, especially
after installing the AMD graphics drivers (though I did use the proprietary
ones from AMDs site).  The laptop itself was cheap; under $500 refurb from
Canada Computers.  Though the extra RAM (it came with 8gig which is likely
plenty anyway) and SSD (came with a 1TB 5400rpm spinner) obviously add to
that.  Only complaint about it was the generally cheap plastic construction
and 1366x768 resolution.  Tolerable if you are putting it on a laptop stand
and adding a second display to it though.

*Mark Steffen*
Office Direct: +1.226.476.1240 | Mobile/WhatsApp: +1.226.600.0464
*"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln*