[kwlug-disc] Organizing: Transparent or secure?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 3 15:35:38 EST 2017

I am struggling with a philosophical decision about organizing
meetings and doing administrative tasks within KWLUG.

I have a secret list of organizing materials:

- People who have offered to give presentations but have not scheduled
  things yet.
- People who have volunteered to do things.
- Instructions on how I do the various tasks for organizing.
- Possible future meeting locations, including pros/cons of different
  sites.

As other people take on these roles it is becoming more apparent that
I need to share these materials out somehow. The Kanban was one
attempt. Another might be to have some simple organizing pages on the
new website.

The question: Should these pages be open to everybody or should they
be restricted to organizers only? Technologically either is possible
(although restricting pages is a bit irritating).

My ideological side says that everything should be open to everybody.
At most I am willing to compromise by not publishing email addresses
publicly.

My paranoid side wants to lock down everything so that griefers do not
get in. At most I am willing to compromise by admitting the existence
of these pages.

Some of you are people who have promised presentations in the past.
Would you feel uncomfortable if this was on the website (maybe hidden
away a little -- there would not be a new menu item for this)?

Some of you have volunteered to do things. Should these identities be
revealed?

I could go either way on this, but if there is a community consensus
then that is probably the way to go.

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org