[kwlug-disc] Python 2 vs Python 3

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Wed Jul 19 01:18:21 EDT 2017

B.S. wrote on 2017-07-18 08:30 PM:

>> KDevelop to the rescue. Except it debugs only Python 3 code.

> I would be in the same boat, in the sense of not having a real
> familiarity with an IDE.

Yep, time to grow into an IDE from Kate, which is a rather nice text editor.

> However, it the interest of 'cross-platform' (as in Linux, not Windows),
> I would be inclined to stay away from kdevelop so as not to be
> 'trapped'. It's why I use Thunderbird instead of kmail. No kdepim and so
> on. For some reason, eclipse is coming to mind in answer to your question.

I've looked at Eclipse in the past. I'd prefer to avoid it.  Cross
platform isn't terribly important to me, at this point.

> However, pry Konqueror --profile filemanagement out of my ... hands. And
> I've recently been playing more with kdevelop, instead of kwrite or
> kate, myself.

Is Konquerer a better file manager than Dolphin?  'Cause Dolphin is
pretty fine.

> As Khalid has noted ... KDE is ... heavy.

I've seen some videos and read some stuff that seems to indicate that
KDE can run fine in lower resourced environments (not too drastically
small) and its memory management will only load all up when there's
memory to allow it.

Of course, it takes more resources than the others, but by a smaller
percent than the immense increase in features it provides.

I have not done any testing myself. But on a 4 GB machine with 2
monitors, and tons of stuff running, maximum eye candy, never really had
issues.

> it's tough to advocate non-KDE once plasma
> is neuteured, let alone akonadi. So in a sense ... never mind.

I hear ya.  Akonadi was not something I ever wanted, and Plasma's flat
design drives me nuts. But they're all doing flat these days. (grumble)

> It probably still makes sense, though, if you're going to 'learn' an
> IDE, that it be something more 'universal' than kdevelop.

Laugh at me if you want, but I ran Kate and Dolphin even back in the
late Gnome 2 days.

But maybe I should look at Eclipse again.  I'm afraid I'll spend more
time on the IDE than on dev work though.

Thanks for your input!

r b