[kwlug-disc] most secure email.. isn't

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Apr 29 00:28:54 EDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 11:49:30PM -0400, Chris Irwin wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 06:40:49PM +0000, Joe Wennechuk wrote:
> >I read this yesterday. Hilarious! I wonder what their VC's will think after they see this?
>
> So, aside from those issues, there's the minor, sticky point that it doesn't
> actually *do* anything, and is arguably less secure than a default Postfix
> installation -- not because it does anything differently, but because you
> *know* a default postfix installation isn't particularly secure, while users
> would assume this one is.

Man. On the one hand I get this. On the other hand isn't this startup
trying to implement the glorious decentralized Indieweb future we are
always talking about? Having a plug-and-play mail server that
non-nerds can use seems like a pretty useful thing in principle.

I am not in a position to throw stones given my email host (and the
reasons I ended up with that host) but I am not that comfortable we
have ceded control of email to three companies (and increasingly to
one company).

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org