[kwlug-disc] Communitech, I hear its a great place but it seems creepy. Thoughts?

Marius Kintel marius at kintel.net
Fri Apr 28 17:39:26 EDT 2017

Communitech is a government-sponsored Regional Innovation Centre (
http://iion.ca/regional-innovation-centres/). You can apply for a
membership for your startup which will give you access to their resources
for 2 years. That process is very non-intrusive and comes with virtually no
strings attached (you don't need a registered company etc.). They offer
some free mentorship, but you have to drive that process as there is no
program to follow. As.a member you can also come in and work in their
lounge area as you please. There is some office space for rent as well.
All their user group meetings etc. are (I think) independent of the
membership.

If you want to pursue market validation on a more intensive basis, I'd
recommend Velocity (if you're a student) or the Momentum Program at the
Accelerator Centre (f you're doing this full-time and can pay ~500/month
for office space and want a programming which includes significant
mentorship and a path towards public funding). As an Accelerator Centre
client you're automatically signed up to Communitech, as they're both
government-funded centres.

I've done both (but without successfully validating a market).

 -Marius