[kwlug-disc] Libc, version and architecture compatibility

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri May 13 14:32:24 EDT 2016

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 03:05:29PM +0000, Adam Glauser wrote:
> I am trying to install some proprietary software that has dependencies on
> an old version of the standard C++ library. Specifically, it is looking for
> a file "libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2".
>
> I believe the software is all 32-bit, because I had to install a package
> "glibc.i686". Otherwise the installer would crash with a "bad ELF
> interpreter" error message.
>
> I think this means I should (ideally) find a binary for libstdc++ version
> 1.1 compiled for the i686 architecture. In theory, any 1.n version should
> work, where n > 1, because the C libraries attempt to be backward
> compatible.

> I'm am a bit unsure about the following:
> - should binaries work across distributions for the same architecture?
> - to what extent can I rely on compatibility between versions of libstdc++?
> - any tips on how I can hunt down an older binary like this?
> - how practical would it be to try to build it myself?

I do not believe binaries are guaranteed to work across distributions
for the same architecture. There are dependencies on standard
libraries like libc6, which make a big difference. This is why Debian
struggles so much to make stable releases.

In terms of finding binaries and sources, it looks like
snapshot.debian.org has both (from potato!). Here is a link to some
(i386, not i686) binaries:

http://snapshot.debian.org/binary/libstdc%2B%2B2.9/

which contains:

./usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

I think this is the corresponding source?

http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian-archive/20090802T004153Z/debian/pool/main/e/egcs1.1/

I have no idea about how to compile such a beast. Maybe the answer is
installing Debian potato (!) into a virtual machine and then running
the (Javaish?) proprietary software from that?

Apparently you are not the only person on the Internet with this
problem:

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org