[kwlug-disc] Libc, version and architecture compatibility

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Fri May 13 11:05:29 EDT 2016

I am trying to install some proprietary software that has dependencies on
an old version of the standard C++ library. Specifically, it is looking for
a file "libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2".

I believe the software is all 32-bit, because I had to install a package
"glibc.i686". Otherwise the installer would crash with a "bad ELF
interpreter" error message.

I think this means I should (ideally) find a binary for libstdc++ version
1.1 compiled for the i686 architecture. In theory, any 1.n version should
work, where n > 1, because the C libraries attempt to be backward
compatible.

I'm am a bit unsure about the following:
- should binaries work across distributions for the same architecture?
- to what extent can I rely on compatibility between versions of libstdc++?
- any tips on how I can hunt down an older binary like this?
- how practical would it be to try to build it myself?